Downtown Scavenger Hunt
Explore St. Johnsbury's downtown district, with clues leading you to various points of interest. Perks await those who participate!
Download the PDF linked below for a hard-copy list of clues and instructions, or you can use the password-free public WiFi network “St. J Public WiFi” to keep this webpage open on your device as you explore downtown.
Please remember to respect our local businesses while you are on your hunt and HAVE FUN! If you need hints, ask a local, visit the St. Johnsbury Welcome Center Information Booth, or check out the About section of our website.
*Photo Release: All photos submitted become the non-exclusive property of the St. Johnsbury Chamber of Commerce, and may be used by the Chamber in current and future marketing campaigns and collateral, across all media and materials.
Clues marked “Your choice” are designed to be interpretive. Just show us your favorite example of the clue prompt. Those marked “Multiple options” have more than one correct response. When you find a clue, don't forget to take a pic and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org!
- This famous black dog knows how to have a ball. Watching over the Welcome Center, she is a friend to all.
- St. J has a reputation for being quite sweet. We’re the world capital of maple, so be sure to find a treat. (Your choice!)
- Until 1965 railroads served passengers well. Go inside the former depot to ring the train bell.
- Downtown is a haven for art of all kinds. Whether bears, cats, or bikes, show us murals you find. (Multiple options!)
- Head under the tracks to a tunnel time-worn. Watch out for traffic, and make sure to sound your horn.
- Join friends for a picnic, or head out for a ride; this Bay Street pavilion is perfect for enjoying time outside.
- Coffee, smoothies, or spirits, or a craft brew, the drink you enjoy is up to you and your crew. (Your choice!)
- This family grew famous for measuring weight. Find their name on a scale, building, or portrait plate. (Multiple options!)
- Find an animal that used to run, fly, or hop; you’ll find taxidermy at many a Railroad or Main Street stop. (Multiple options!)
- This gazebo is home to a band still going strong. Next to the courthouse, summer evenings are filled with song.
- Local authors, cozy book nooks, and written words galore. At these spots in St. J, reading is never a chore. (Multiple options!)
- In markets and shops, artisans display their works. Local handmade treasures are one of Vermont’s perks. (Multiple options!)
- Located on Railroad Street, check out their new space. If you’re looking for events and resources, St. J Community Hub is your place.
This Discover St. Johnsbury Downtown Scavenger Hunt was created in partnership with St. Johnsbury resident Allie Reed, and was partially funded by a Neighbor Up Pitch Night grant from the Saint Johnsbury Community HUB.